CHANGE RINGING AT WORTLEY

Our Bells and Tower

St Leonard’s Church has a peal of 8 bells cast by John Warner & Son in 1893. The bells are in the key of G Major and are mounted in a wooden frame at the top of the tower.

In 2016 the entire installation was overhauled by John Taylor & Co. Bell Foundry of Loughborough. The bells which were described as “a better than average set of Warner’s” were tuned at the same time and now have a much-improved tonal quality as the harmonics have been matched. The bells hang from new metal headstocks mounted on double row self-aligning ball bearings. New clappers and pulleys were fitted along with refurbished wheels. The oak bell frame was found to be in very good condition and will continue to provide good service for many years to come.

The ringing chamber is well appointed with seating round the walls, good lighting and 2 windows that can be opened for fresh air. Between the ringing chamber and the belfry is a clock room which attenuates the sound so the bells are a comfortable volume for the ringers.

The ringing chamber is reached by a straight wooden ladder which is quite long and can seem a bit daunting but is very sturdy. If you are planning a visit to Wortley to ring please bear this in mind.

Technical Specification of the Bells

Bell Weight Nominal Note Diameter
1 5-3-23 1546.0 G 27.50"
2 5-3-6 1459.0 F# 28.63"
3 5-3-0 1300.0 E 29.38"
4 5-3-11 1158.2 D 30.88"
5 6-1-26 1031.8 C 33.13"
6 7-2-19 973.9 B 34.88"
7 8-0-21 867.7 A 37.00"
8 11-2-5 773.0 G 41.13"

The bells weights are given in hundredweights, quarters and pounds.

The bells all have the founders name cast around the shoulder.

The Tenor bell has a full inscription on its waist which is:

TO THE PRAISE AND GLORY OF GOD AND FOR THE CONTINUAL JOY AND COMFORT OF THE PEOPLE OF WORTLEY, FOR THE USE OF THE CHURCH OF S. LEONARD, THESE BELLS, BEING THE GIFT OF MARY CAROLINE, MARCHIONESS OF DROGHEDA, DAUGHTER OF JOHN, SECOND LORD WHARNCLIFFE, IN PERPETUAL MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND HENRY, THIRD MARQUIS OF DROGHEDA, WHO DIED JUNE XXIX, MDCCCXCII, WERE DEDICATED BY THE MOST REV W. D. MACLAGAN, D.D., LORD ARCHBISHOP OF YORK, JULY XXXI, M.D.CCCXCIII.

O PRAISE GOD IN HIS HOLINESS PRAISE HIM UPON THE WELL-TUNED CYMBALS LET EVERY THING THAT HATH BREATH PRAISE THE LORD O, YE SPIRITS AND SOULS OF THE RIGHTEOUS BLESS YE THE LORD; PRAISE HIM AND MAGNIFY HIM FOR EVER.

The west end tower is accessed from inside the church kitchen, there is no external tower access. It has 3 floors and an embattled parapet roof.

The clock is a 3-train turret clock manufactured by W Potts of Leeds in 1893. It strikes hour and quarter Westminster chimes. There are dials on the North and South faces of the tower. The clockwork mechanism still drives the hands around the dials and operated the chimes but it has been converted to electric winding.

If you require any further information, please email us at: wortleytower@gmail.com

To contact the bell ringing team please use the following:

Email:wortleytower@gmail.com
Phone: 07851727306

Follow us on facebook

© wortleychurch.org.uk - All rights reserved.